Melania Trump Promotes Documentary Amid Backlash Over Iran War

First Lady Melania Trump drew sharp criticism this week after promoting her documentary film on social media while the United States remained engaged in active military operations against Iran. The promotion, posted to X on March 10, 2026, announced that the Brett Ratner-directed documentary “Melania” was now available to stream on Amazon Prime Video following its theatrical run. The timing struck many observers as tone-deaf, coming just days after the deadliest attack on American forces since the conflict began.

The United States and Israel launched joint military strikes on Iran on February 28, 2026, opening a new and volatile chapter in Middle Eastern conflict. As of March 10, seven American service members had died and approximately 140 more had been wounded, according to Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell, as TIME reported. Of the wounded, 108 had returned to duty, while eight were severely injured.

The deadliest single incident came on March 1, when a drone struck a port in Kuwait, killing at least five U.S. Army reservists. NBC News identified the fallen as Capt. Cody A. Khork, 35; Sgt. 1st Class Noah L. Tietjens, 42; Sgt. 1st Class Nicole M. Amor, 39; Spc. Declan J. Coady, 20; and Maj. Jeffrey O’Brien, 45. A sixth service member, Chief Warrant Officer Robert Marzan, was also believed to have died at the scene, according to NBC News. All six were assigned to the 103rd Sustainment Command based in Des Moines.

Against that backdrop, the First Lady’s cheerful film promotion landed with a jarring thud. In her post, Melania Trump announced that the documentary had become the number one movie on Prime Video globally, according to Tyla. The film, which follows the 20 days leading up to Donald Trump’s 2025 presidential inauguration from the First Lady’s perspective, was released in cinemas on January 30, 2026.

The documentary’s commercial performance has been a subject of debate. It earned approximately $7 million in its opening weekend — what Newsweek reported was the biggest opening weekend for a non-fiction film in the last decade. However, the film reportedly cost $75 million to produce, according to The Wrap, and had earned approximately $16.7 million worldwide as of early March. Amazon reportedly paid $40 million to license the documentary along with a follow-up docuseries.

Critical reception has been deeply polarized. The film holds an 11 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes’ Tomatometer alongside a 98 percent score on its audience-driven Popcornmeter. Newsweek reported that this represents the largest discrepancy between critics’ and audience scores in the 27-year history of Rotten Tomatoes. On IMDb, however, the documentary sat at just 1.4 stars as of March 10, as LittleThings noted.

President Donald Trump appeared unbothered by the controversy. On March 9, he told House Republicans that Melania had become “a movie star,” adding, “That movie was hot and it is hot,” according to People magazine as cited by LittleThings.

Meanwhile, the scale of the military campaign continued to grow. U.S. forces had struck more than 5,000 targets in Iran since February 28, according to U.S. Central Command as reported by Al Jazeera. At least 1,270 people in Iran had been killed according to Iranian state media, while Al Jazeera’s preliminary figures cited 1,255 dead — a slight discrepancy between sources. In Lebanon, at least 486 people were killed from Israeli air strikes, according to Lebanon’s health ministry.

Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps responded with force, launching 230 attack drones targeting a U.S. base in Erbil, Iraq, and the Ali Al Salem and Arifjan bases in Kuwait. An Iranian ballistic missile strike on Beit Shemesh in central Israel on March 1 killed nine people and injured more than 20.

President Trump said on March 2 that the military action was projected to last four to five weeks but that the United States had the capability to continue longer. The conflict showed no signs of de-escalation as casualties mounted on all sides.

Critics argued that the juxtaposition of wartime sacrifice and celebrity self-promotion underscored a disconnect at the highest levels of American leadership. As Yahoo Entertainment reported, the backlash was swift and widespread, with many questioning the appropriateness of the First Lady’s priorities while American troops were in harm’s way. The episode added another layer of controversy to a documentary that has divided audiences and critics since its debut.

Jordan Hale
Jordan Hale
Jordan Hale is a senior editor and staff writer at USA Daily News, covering national headlines, politics, business, and culture. He focuses on clear, fact-based reporting and timely coverage of stories shaping the United States. His work emphasizes accuracy, context, and straightforward reporting for a broad national audience.

Latest

NYPD Officers Nearly Killed in Building Collapse

Bodycam footage captured the terrifying moment everything went wrong.

Two Navy Jets Collide Midair at Idaho Air Show as All Four Crew Members Eject Safely

Four parachutes opened over the Idaho desert, and the crowd held its breath.

12-Year-Old Boy Charged With Murder in Goldsboro NC Shooting

The youngest suspect in this case hasn't even started high school.

Oregon Man Arrested 166 Times Finally Gets Life in Prison

His criminal record stretches back over two decades, and now it's over.

Newsletter

Don't miss

Former US Mayor Confesses to Spying for China

She ran a small California city while secretly taking orders from Beijing.

Medical Plane Crash in New Mexico Mountains Kills All 4 on Board

A routine short flight ended in tragedy before dawn Thursday.

CBS Cameraman Collapses on Live TV as Broadcast From Taiwan Falls Apart

Nobody expected a routine CBS broadcast to end like this.

Memphis Grizzlies Star Brandon Clarke Dead at 29

His teammates' tributes will break your heart.

GOP Congressman Tom Kean Jr. Vanishes for Two Months With Zero Explanation

His colleagues can't reach him, but someone is still trading his stocks.